Thursday, November 7, 2013

SMART goal revisions and other answers


1. I want to understand what I am doing in the lab at all times and to further my knowledge on anything that relates to biology and medicine.  I want to know what I am doing, how I am doing it, and why I am doing things in the lab. This means that I have a solid understanding of whats going on and that I'll be able to trouble shoot when problems arise. I plan on listening to other people's projects and exploring other abstracts to learn new information. I'll know I've accomplished my goal because I will have new information that I present and I'll able to explain exactly what I did in the lab at winterim fair.  This is a relevant goal for me because I want to go into microbiology and because I think I might go into this career path.

2. I want to remain focused while I am setting up tests so that my data is accurate. Last year, I know I was sloppier with my tests but I was new and was dealing with new concepts.  want to reduce the number of careless mistakes I make during experiments. This year, I'm working more independently, so I want to be able work better without needing supervision. Measurable, we can see if my data has error or mistakes that were my own fault because it will yield bad data. In addition, I can compare my data with Xiaolu to see how accurate I am.

3. I want to be able to form basic conclusions with the data that I get. Last year I was more focused on learning about how everything worked. It's year I want to focus more on making tentative conclusions with my data if it is at all possible. I also want to know what the next step should be after making the conclusions. This means that I have to have both good analysis and good data. I would then present my conclusions at Winterim fair. Groundbreaking conclusions are not typically possible in 15 days, and I will only present a conclusion if it is at all possible.


In terms of my goals for communicating, I plan on posting at least once a day and telling about what i have done that day and what my thoughts were. My audience is primarily adults,  but also my fellow peers at MV who may look at my blog.

I plan to have a triboard with the charts and graphs for Winterim Fair

I know that I did a similar Winterim last year and I want to make a distinction between the two. Last year I was really just learning the learn things in microbiology and I got a little lab experience. Now I want to hone my skills in the lab and learn about some of the other things that people are doing in this field (both in Dr. Willey's Lab and outside of his lab) so I can if this is really something I could do all of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment