Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 1 Morning

So, today is my first day with Doctor Willey at UTMC! It's super cool here and super nerdy here I love it!

We started with basically going over what PCR is. If you don't know what PCR is, it is basically just replicating certain strains of DNA many, many, MANY times so that you can study the DNA sequence more. Click here for more info. I have a pretty good understand of what it is and will hopefully do it again soon.

Thomas (Tom) Blomquist was the primary person I talked to. We talked about a lot of things. Crash course on what cancer is: one cell that has certain mutations that cause it to not cease replicating. I asked why we haven't gotten a cure. Sadly, he stated that since there are so many different types of mutations (at varying locations and degrees), we have an extremely hard time developing a cure. However, it is easier to determine which sequence change causes cancer for younger people. With older people, there have been a countless number of very slight mutations from cell replication. With younger people, they haven't had as much cell replication (therefore mutations), so the sequence is easier to discern.

I've done a lot of reading and this afternoon I'm planning on designing an experiment for Winterim... So YAY! More info to come


Also, here's my school for the next few weeks:


Thad

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thad,
    Thanks for the link-- I had to do some backup reading so that I had some idea of what you are doing. Also-- love the photos! Keep up the good posts.
    Mr. Boehm

    ReplyDelete